Regular dental checkups are an important part of maintaining optimal oral health. First and most important is good home care – brushing and flossing. This is so important because it is the environment that your teeth are sitting in on a daily basis. If your mouth is dirty and full of plaque or food it is very harmful to both tissues and teeth. Secondly, regular dental cleanings and exams help to avoid tooth decay and gum disease and to prevent many expensive dental treatments.
Prevention starts with controlling plaque, a colorless bacteria that sticks to the surface of your teeth. If plaque sits on your teeth too long it becomes calculus, a harder mineral deposit. This is what is known as tartar. This is the hard stuff that the Hygienists have to scrape off the teeth. These are the main sources of decay and periodontal disease. By maintaining a proper routine of daily hygiene, you can prevent most oral disease. Our Hygienists at Westhill Dental are excellent and are available to assist you with your hygiene and management of your gums.
During your regular checkup, your hygienist will:
• Review your medical history
• Look for cavities or evidence of tooth decay
• Take necessary digital x-rays
• Check for any problems or oral cancer
• Inspect your teeth and gums for signs of gingivitis or gum disease
• Thoroughly clean and polish your teeth
• Provide fluoride treatment for prevention of decay
Other Services that our Hygienists can perform are:
- Dental Sealants for newly erupted permanent teeth
- Root Planing and Scaling – a non surgical treatment for Periodontal disease
- Irrigation of gum tissue ( Applying an antimicrobial medication under the gums)